Monday, April 6, 2009

CP Squabble April 2-8

Write a sestina, using these rules.

The catch is that we are giving you your set of six ending words. You MUST use these six words as your ending words, but what order you choose for your first stanza is up to you (as you will see in the rules, the order for the rest of the stanzas is predetermined).

Here are your six ending words:
boat
Kathmandu
journal
lemon
cathedral
grass

Genre: Poetry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`


Lemon of Regret

I sit in the shadow of the old cathedral
and sigh as I read through my childhood journal.
I sigh for those days when we lay on the grass,
building with dreams out splendid boat,
that would take us from home to Kathmandu.
Regret is on my lips like a sugarless lemon.

And I summon forth to me the lemon
as I sit before this cathedral
and remember those fantasies of Kathmandu.
I cry a small tear on the pages of my journal
as I recall how you built your own boat
and I was left with my dreams in the grass.

As I lay that day, alone in the grass,
pain was like a wound drenched in lemon.
I gave up on my dreams and my boat.
Until this day at the old cathedral,
flipping through the pages of my worn, old journal,
I'd forgotten my dreams of Kathmandu.

My mind drifts again to our Kathmandu.
I remember our stories, laughing in the grass,
and I caress your name in my journal.
My eyes burn with fire as if rubbed by a lemon,
then I weep in the shadow of the cathedral.
I weep for my shattered boat.

Blame in my heart rides waves of anger like a boat.
I realize I blame you for losing Kathmandu,
and in shame I cower from the judging cathedral,
justifying myself with abandonment in the grass.
Yet still my heart feels as if squeezed like a lemon
and guilt is increased by my journal.

I slam shut the pages of the accusing journal.
I try to forget the destruction of my boat.
Still, when the hate in my heart feel like a sour lemon,
then I know how to get to Kathmandu.
I wander in a daze to lie in the grass,
leaving behind the silent cathedral.

I open my childhood journal and begin my journey to Kathmandu,
beginning to rebuild my boat as I lie here in the grass.
I add sugar to the sting of lemon and write, "I forgave you at the cathedral."

2 comments:

ambersun said...

Hi again

A lovely poem - using the words as symbols all the way through really works for me.

The forgiveness at the end is positive and cleansing.

Keep it up.

Amber

Blire Daeriel said...

Thanks Amber. :)