Thursday, May 15, 2008

Spilling Thoughts

So school is over. I suppose I'm a Junior now... how odd. And Koby's a Senior. Everything is changing. Some for the better, some for the worse... I'm not quite sure how I feel about all of this. A lot of mixed emotions and feelings are running through my head right now...

Christian World Views class ended today. I'm sad to see it go. It was a great class. We went over the past year today (though we got sidetracked by a few discussions) and in the conversation two things came up that caught my attention. The first was a positive, though something that I hadn't given a whole lot of thought to before. It was the idea of wives submitting to their husbands. My friend Bitty was saying how she didn't like that wives had to submit to their husbands as she felt that indicated that women were inferior. However, Ms. Michelle talked about the fallacy of that statement and how it's a blessing to be under our husbands as it means the guys have to shoulder the responsibility of the family. Bitty was still a bit unhappy about the thought, especially when Ms. Michelle said that though she had no problems with woman working, once a woman is married, the home should come first and when there are children, work should be put aside until they're older. I agree with this completely and have decided what I will do. I plan to become a youth counsellor and I will work full time before marriage. After I marry however, I will take off for the first few months to a year to get settled and learn how to run a home, then go back part time. When children come, I'll stop working until they are in high school at the earliest. Some people might say that it's stupid to give up a career for family, but I've never dreamed of a career, I've always dreamed of being a mom and I'm not going to screw it up for a career. As for the submission part? I'm not worried. I know my husband is going to be absolutely amazing for two reasons:
1) I trust God's plan
2) He has to be better than my girlies. And let me tell you that will be a challenge!

The second thing we discussed was the poor and the problems with the government making it easy on them and giving them things like free stuff, food stamps and the like. Everyone was trashing that concept, saying that it's stupid for the government to make it easy on them so they don't have to do as much. Ms. Michelle seems to be pretty heavily against food stamps. *twists ring around finger* My family is on food stamps... We aren't per se poor in that we live in the streets, but it's a struggle to make ends meet. We couldn't buy groceries for over a week last month because we had no money to We woke up to thirty seven cents in the bank one morning... Total. *sighs and shakes head* My dad does the best he can and it kills him to have to see that he can't provide for his family the way he wants to. He takes every extra job he can get, but there's no work... And to hear all the others in my class say that people shouldn't be given food stamps because it encourages them to be lazy... it hurt. My dad is anything but lazy. But things aren't working... *bites lip and runs hand through hair* Ai... I don't know why I'm saying this...

No galu govad gen, mellyn nîn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ai, meleth nin... *hugs her close* Im meleth le...